#4: Eliminate management, organization charts, job descriptions, and hourly wages

I explain in detail what I mean by eliminating management in the book but here are my key points:
--No official organization charts; no job descriptions except those that say “Do whatever it takes” or ones written by the employee.

--No company-wide job descriptions. Every person is considered unique and must build a job around his or her unique skills and passions.

--There is only one category of employee within the organization. There are no separate management people.

--Leaders are mentors, coaches, teachers, helpers, and cheerleaders--not "managers" of people.

When we started to change the AES compensation policy, only 10 percent of our people worldwide were paid a salary. The other 90 percent received hourly wages and overtime. By the time I left in 2002, over 90 percent of 40,000 people in 31 countries were paid a salary, just like the company’s leaders. It was a giant step in breaking down barriers between management and labor and in bringing us together as AES business people. It was a revolution in our workplace—and one of my proudest accomplishments.


Anonymous said...

Hey just wanted to give you a brief heads up and
let you know a few of the pictures aren't loading correctly. I'm not
sure why but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

Feel free to visit my web page; frances hodgson burnett the secret garden

Anonymous said...

Wow, wonderful blog format! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for?
you made blogging glance easy. The total glance of your site is great, as
well as the content material!

Here is my weblog :: vakantievilla zuid frankrijk